HILAGA Philippines (Paskuhan Village) and Ligligan Parul

Satellite image of Hilaga Philippines (formerly Paskuhan Village) in San Fernando City, Pampanga

Merry Christmas everyone! To celebrate this wonderful season—Vista Pinas style, let’s go to the acknowledged Christmas Capital of the Philippines, San Fernando City in Pampanga. At the San Fernando Exit of the North Luzon Expressway, across from the previously featured SM City Pampanga and Robinsons Starmills Pampanga is the former Paskuhan Village, now the HILAGA Philippines. This part of San Fernando got high-resolution imagery this year and so we can finally feature this sight.

This tourist attraction features a star-shaped Plenary Hall which symbolizes the world-class lantern-making industry of San Fernando. The site underwent a rehabilitation in 2003 under the Department of Tourism and was redubbed the HILAGA Philippines, a mini-Nayong Pilipino focusing on northern Luzon. According to this Philippine Tourism Authority webpage, the site features, among others, the Kappianan na Cagayan Valley Hall and the Gran Cordillera Abong Hall. Other amenities include an amphitheater, a swimming pool, and a rock-climbing facility.

Finally, the Ligligan Parul is the famous Giant Lantern Festival of San Fernando. This year marks the 100th anniversary of lantern-making in this city, which is said to have been started by Francisco Estanislao in 1908. The competition among nine barangays happened last December 20 at Robinsons Starmills and last year’s champion, Barangay Telabastagan, won again this year. I’m not sure if they’ll be displaying the giant lanterns at Paskuhan Village like they did last year, but here’s a video from 2006 showing how very pretty these lanterns are. (You can also view other videos on YouTube if you want.)

December 26, 2008
Central LuzonCultural Institutions

Comments

1. Dyan Zarzuela wrote on January 13, 2009 @ 11:20AM

Good day!

We are Katherine Mae M. Lopez and Dyan Michelle O. Zarzuela, senior journalism students at the College of Mass Communication in the University of the Philippines Diliman. For our undergraduate thesis, we are studying the feasibility of establishing a Metro-Manila-based citizen journalism website that is regularly updated and covers multiple topics. Citizen journalism is the reporting of news and information by people without formal journalistic training.

In this light, we are conducting a survey among the top 100 bloggers in the Philippines according to ratified.org. The survey aims to see if there are potential citizen journalists and editors for a regularly updated and multi-topic citizen journalism website. We chose to conduct the survey among bloggers because bloggers have internet access and have already used their blogs to spread information.

We would like to ask you to spare a few minutes to answer our survey at survey.bryanz.com. Your answers will be most valuable to our research. We may request a short interview with you later on based on your answers.

We apologize for using the comment form; we couldn’t find another way to send this letter.

Please feel free to contact us through cellular phone (0916-2850117, 0916-2138983) or email (katherinemae.lopez@gmail.com, dyanzarzuela@yahoo.com) for any questions or concerns.

Thank you.

2. Rusty Squire wrote on March 31, 2009 @ 05:06AM

Good day Eugene,

I just want to invite you to my seo contest hosted on my blog http://heartratewatchcompany.com/blog. I am new to blogging and i am hoping you could share any comments and suggestions. Negative or postive comments are very much welcome.

Thank you and have a good day.

Sincerely,
    Rusty Squire

3. Mike wrote on March 31, 2009 @ 12:54PM

Nice Article. One of my favorite blogs

4. pau-pau wrote on April 7, 2009 @ 06:14AM

good day!

I have been wondering if there is a place that everyday is christmas. I heard that my parents told me it was a nice,exciting and very inspiring place.I’ve been excited to enter the place as they describe it to me.

While heading home we passed by the City of Pampanga.That then my parents remembered this place that they told us.It was called PASKUHAN VILLAGE.As for me I got really excited about what is really inside.But when we were paying the twenty pesos entrance fee, I was curious about what kind of place that was, it was so quiet(except for the occassion happening there).

I saw the stores, it was close.So I thought it was close because it there was an occassion that is a bout to happen.

But when we got inside the garden.It really caught my attention.It was not the Paskuahan village my parents was describing to me.It just made me felt very disappointed! The place was a DISASTER!

Who ever was assign to maitain the place didn’t maintain it CLEAN and WELL ORGANIZE!And maintain its place as it was years ago.

Going inside that place was a ridiculous thing.Take note, “entering the place let me realized that Christmas was all about drinking beer and having karaoke “.

Sana man lang po kahit may nagiinuman at nagkakaraoke na-inspire ako sa place un.Kaya lang po HINDI po eh.sana kung maganda po yung Garden, maayos yung bridge, may animals sa cages, open ang stores na nagpapakita na “Its Christmas in our place”. Kaya lang po hinde po eh.Madumi na nga po yung lugar may nagiinuman pa.Anong klaseng lugar po ba yun??.Hindi niyo na po na maintain.

Sayanag lang po yung pinangbayad naming twenty pesos entrance fee.Kasi po pinagod niyo lng kami na maglakad na walang makitang maganda at kamangha-manghang lugar.dapat hindi na PASKUHAN VILLAGE ang tawag dun.‘Cause It was an AWFUL place I had ever saw!.Hindi ko man lang po naramdaman ang PASKO sa lugar ninyong iyon.Kumulo lang po ang dugo ko, after and presently seeing the place that they..you call PASKUHAN VILLAGE.

Sana magbalik sa date ang lugar na iyon.Pagpasok palang may piniplay na christmas songs,open ang magagandang stores na may iba’t-ibang decorations of parol at walang nag-iinuman at nag kakaraoke.

……..

5. pau-pau wrote on September 1, 2009 @ 06:41AM

I HATE THE PLACE THAT THEY CALL..
    PASKUAHN VILLAGE!!!..

IT WAS THE MOST RIDICULOUS PLACE I’VE EVER BEEN!!..

6. Barbie wrote on May 21, 2010 @ 12:05AM

To criticize is ok …………….
    If and Only if, you know the real story behind it.Dont just criticize, know the points – and help resolve the problem.

7. editha boquida wrote on June 10, 2010 @ 12:58PM

gud am, our grade one pupils will have their lakbay aral in hilga on July 14,22,23, 27 & 29.I just want to know if the entrance is still Php 10.00 and if there is an existing exhibit in HILAGA on these dates. Thank you and good day!

8. sheylosa wrote on April 21, 2012 @ 10:40PM

dati, maganda ung place na ito.. i remember during my early days, sobrang ganda nito, prang pumunta ka ng ibang bansa. tapos kumukuha pa kami nun nung mga white stones remebrance. and before that place was so lively. dun nga halos ginaganap ung giant lantern festival eh. pero ngayon, it was very different.
    sobrang dumi na nung place. prang ghost town na xa..
    nakakalungkot..
    sana i develop ulit ung place..
    and yes i agree dun sa sinabi nung isa na ilessen ung mga inuman xe ang dating prang bar na xa..
    i hope sa management ng paskuhan na idevelop nila un.. ang laki ng place and ang ganda pa nun kung maayos ulit xa. im sure nun madami ung pupunta dun.. un lang.. no offense.. comment lang un..