Lakbayan: How Much of the Philippines Have You Visited?

Two days ago, in celebration of the Philippines’ Independence Day, I launched a new website called Lakbayan, a really cool new web application that lets you see how much of the Philippines you have visited. You just enter how often you’ve seen cities and provinces in the country, submit the data, and you get in return a map visualizing your Philippine “footprint” and a grade assessing your travel experiences. For instance, here is my result:

Lakbayan Visited Map.

Lakbayan Grade: C- Traveler.

As you can see, I’ve practically never been outside of Luzon in the Philippines. That’s one reason why I started Vista Pinas. It’s one way of letting me “visit” and learn about places in the Philippines that I’ve never been to. Rico calls this tech tourism and Vista Pinas and Lakbayan are just ways to achieve that.

So, what’s your Lakbayan grade?

P.S. Some Independence Day–related locations already featured here in Vista Pinas are Aguinaldo Shrine and Centennial Expo.

June 15, 2007

Comments

1. Vida Soraya wrote on June 16, 2007 @ 09:49PM

Hi, Mr. Villar! I had fun with your new Lakbayan app and I hope you don’t mind that I’ve posted it on my blog. Can’t wait to update it when I’ve traveled to more uncharted territories! Thanks! Incidentally, Lakbayan is also the name of a protest march annually conducted by progressive groups.

2. Eugene wrote on June 17, 2007 @ 02:49PM

Hello Vida! I’m glad you liked Lakbayan. Yep, I’ve heard of this protest march when I was Googling if anybody else was using the term. But I think promoting Philippine tourism through Lakbayan is also an equally worthy cause, right? Hehehe.

3. Culture Shiok! Singapore OFW wrote on June 24, 2007 @ 02:59PM

This is a great idea! Every Filipino should have one! I’ll blog about it. I’m having some problems updating my map…

4. Sally wrote on July 5, 2007 @ 05:29AM

May comment lang ako, napansin ko… Sana pala may remarks section din, kung sinadya ba talaga pumunta dun at ginastosan ang pagpunta o nagkataon lang dahil sa mga taong kasama o dala ng pangangailangan o may kamag-anak ba dun…sana kasama yun sa algorithm ng grades sa lakbayan. yung tipong interesado ka talaga pumunta at umikot ng Pilipinas… thought this might help. Hehheheh! Nice idea though. Lakbayan is in my blog. Thanks!

5. David Dennis wrote on July 20, 2007 @ 01:31PM

You know, this is really a beautifully done creation and you should be proud of it.

Might I make a gentle recommendation, though? I’m not sure if making a grade is that good an idea, because almost nobody gets a positive result! Since I have made only one trip, I have a F. How about ‘you have seen 1% of the Philippines!’? That gives less of a value judgement but still motivates people to see more.

I certainly wouldn’t link to your web site with “I have an F in visiting the Philippines!” but I would link to “I have seen 1% of the Philippines and can’t wait to see more!”

Your thoughts?

D

6. Fips wrote on December 17, 2017 @ 07:49PM

Website app is not working anymore with codec error