Libingan ng mga Bayani

Satellite image of the Libingan ng mga Bayani in Taguig City.

From an airplane or a satellite, the Libingan ng mga Bayani (Cemetery of the Heroes) is an intriguing site with its concentric tree-lined arcs. This cemetery is the Philippine equivalent of America’s Arlington National Cemetery and is where the soldiers who have fought for the country are buried, among others.

The Libingan ng mga Bayani is one of the six military shrines maintained by the Philippine Veterans Affairs Office. I’ve already featured one of them—the Mount Samat Shrine—back in April. We’ll be featuring the rest in due time.

The cemetery was established as the Republic Memorial Cemetery in May 1947 and was renamed to its present name by President Magsaysay in 1954.

Photo of the rows of crosses at the Libingan ng mga Bayani. Photo by Aissa Richards (CC)

Anyway, aside from the soldiers and military personnel who have died in duty fighting during World War II, the Korean and Vietnam Wars, and against communist insurgents and Muslim separatists within the country, presidents, dignitaries, statesmen, and National Artists and Scientists are buried in the cemetery. Among these include former presidents Garcia and Macapagal and his wife (Marcos was to be buried here but his remains is currently preserved in Ilocos Norte), National Artist Carlos P. Romulo, revolutionary leader Artemio Ricarte, Chief Justice Claudio Teehankee., Senate President Blas Ople, and anti-corruption official Haydee Yorac.

The Libingan ng mga Bayani also features the Philippines’ Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, which is at the very center of the cemetery. Along the second major arc road are three pylons, each honoring the military dead of WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Wars. Near the entrance at the northern part of the cemetery is the Heroes Memorial Gate (Google Map, Flickr). If you look closely enough in Google Maps, you can actually see the grid of crosses marking the graves.

If you want to learn more and see tons of pictures, this slightly outdated CorregidorIsland.com page is recommended. I also heard that the place is an excellent jogging spot.

October 13, 2007
Memorial Parks / CemeteriesMetro Manila

Comments

1. Milo wrote on May 6, 2009 @ 10:26AM

Hi,

I couldn’t find an entry for the Manila American Cemetery and memorial. That place is near the libingan ng bayani. Anyway, I created a virtual tour of tha place. You can see it here.

thanks,
    Milo

2. alipio wrote on December 9, 2009 @ 02:30AM

saan pu b makikita ung mga babaing bayani ng pilipinas kahit pu ung hindi kilalang bayani basta babaing bayani ng pilipinas??????

salamat pu!!

3. ida wrote on January 19, 2010 @ 11:12AM

question lang po..pde ba magpicture sa loob ng libingan ng mga bayani..? i mean pde ba magpasok ng dslr? or kelangan pa ng mga permits?

4. dina rosini wrote on August 6, 2010 @ 05:33PM

pwede ka naman pumasok- just ask permission from the military guards that you will take pictures coz most of the visitors are dependents and families of the buried heroes..Phil Army is doing its best in maintaining this historical place and im really proud that my dad was laid to rest here…

5. Grave Services Unit, ASCOM wrote on September 19, 2010 @ 02:22PM

IDA, if you want to take pictures inside the memorial, feel free to drop by our office, no permits required, just log-in then after your picture-taking, we would like to request that you likewise log-out. If you have other inquiries regarding our facility, we can provide you a tour guide to go along with you or your group.

Schedule of Interment (in case you are interested): Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday from 8 AM to 12 noon

See you.

6. nino wrote on October 31, 2010 @ 09:23PM

san kuba mkkta puntod tatay ku s libingang mga bayani ang layo kc

7. kate wrote on November 30, 2010 @ 05:49PM

grabe naman po! i’ve been looking for the number of libingan ng mga bayani sa internet..even sa directory assistance! pero wla..grabe hirap..san ko po makikita..may importante akong dapat itanong sa office nila..

8. BFD wrote on June 5, 2014 @ 01:04AM

Pwede po bang pumasok ung aarkilahin naming taxi sa Libingan ng Bayani? 85-year-old na po kasi ung mama ko na dadalaw sa papa ko. Medyo malayo po yung puntod sa gate na Bayani.

9. napster wrote on June 17, 2015 @ 11:29AM

Hi sir/madam, I’m looking for the directory of the Libingan ng mga Bayani, I was want to visit someone important there. Pwede ba malamn yung lot no. ng grave taong yun kung pupunta ako dyan kahit di ako kamag-anak, He’s a father of my girlfriend and I want to pay visit on her behalf nasa abroad na kasi silang mag-anak. Please feel free to mail me @ napster.testmode@gmail.com kung ano ang mga dapat at hindi dapat at kung papaano bumisita dyan. I’ll deeply appreciate it

10. Manuel Catriz wrote on November 2, 2018 @ 03:33PM

Hi, I’m one of the son of my late father 2nd lieutenant Fermin Bobeles Catriz who was buried on 1982. I haven’t visited his grave since he was buried. Now I have a family and wants to visit his grave, is it possible for us to enter Libingan ng mga Bayani even on ordinary day? How can I locate my father’s grave since I already forget the exact location, can you give me also a directory so we will know where to find his grave? Thanks very much.