Tiwi Geothermal Power Plant

Satellite image of the Tiwi Geothermal Power Plant in Tiwi, Albay

We’ve already seen a wind power plant, a hydroelectric power plant (though indirectly), a coal-fired power plant, a natural gas power plant, and a solar power plant, so let’s add one more type of electricity-generating facility by introducing the Tiwi Geothermal Power Plant in Tiwi, Albay on the northeastern flanks of Mt. Malinao.

Photo of the pipes at Tiwi Geothermal Power Plant Photo taken from the NAPOCOR website

The Tiwi Geothermal Power Plant actually consists of three separate plants. What you can see in the satellite image thumbnail is Plant A, while Plant B is located roughly a kilometer to the east-southeast, and Plant C about a kilometer to the southwest. These three plants have a combined 275 megawatts of generating capacity.

These three plants harness geothermal energy in the area known as the Tiwi Geothermal Field. This is part of the 17,661-hectare geothermal area in Albay that was reserved by Pres. Marcos through Presidential Decree No. 739 in 1970 following the passage of Republic Act No. 5092 or the Geothermal Law in 1967. The harnessing of geothermal energy was quite timely since it helped saved the Philippines millions of dollars during the 1970s oil crisis.

The Tiwi webpage from the National Geothermal Association of the Philippines would prove informative if you wish to learn more.

March 29, 2009
BicolandiaPlants / Factories

Comments

1. Joey BIcaldo wrote on February 10, 2010 @ 02:34AM

are you accepting students to take OJT?

2. Argille Daryl B. Salvador wrote on February 17, 2010 @ 02:10AM

To the management of Tiwi Geothermal Powerplant:

Greetings of peace!

I am Argille Daryl B. Salvador of Polytechnic University of the Philippines, taking Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering. I am a 4th year student now.
    I would like to become a trainee in your office this coming April and May of 2010. Should you accept “On the Job Trainees” this summer, I am willing to grab the opportunity. My Yahoo Mail Address is markandersalba@yahoo.com.

Thank you.

3. jay reyes wrote on August 22, 2010 @ 04:57PM

i’m am electrical engineering student sir, and i’m
    doing a transmission line design to this power plant. please help me sir where am i going to start my work.

4. Engr. Rada wrote on October 6, 2010 @ 01:31AM

I would like to know if there is a vacant job for me.
    Mechanical engineer (entry level).
    thanks

5. JOSEPH RYAN QUIOPA wrote on October 10, 2010 @ 07:02PM

SIR/MADAM: ARE YOU ACCEPTING STUDENT TRAINEE FOR O.J.T?

6. Clarson P. Pasiona wrote on January 17, 2011 @ 02:35PM

Good morning!
    I’m an Electrical Engineering student from University of the Philippines Los Banos. I just want to ask if the company is accepting ojt/practicum this summer.thanks…

7. San Juan A. wrote on March 9, 2011 @ 02:59PM

I’m from UPLB BS Electrical Eng. Do you accept OJT/Practicum summer? Thanks.

8. Karl T. Luceña wrote on April 17, 2011 @ 08:18PM

Good day maam/sir,.
    I am Karl Luceña, a Mechanical Engineer from Mapua Institute of Technology, a proud Bicolano who lives in Iriga City, Camarines Sur. I would like to work with you in tiwi geothermal plant. I hope there is a vacant job for me. Diyos Mabalos

9. fredie cotara wrote on April 28, 2011 @ 11:26AM

To the manage of Aboitiz Tiwi Geothermal Power plant.

Good morning Ma’am/Sir;

I am looking for a vacant job at your company as operator. Thank you
  10. Engr. Ramel B. Carual wrote on April 28, 2011 @ 10:56PM

Gudpm….

Sir/Maam,

I am an Electrical Engineer,a graduate of Bicol University,lives in Tabaco City.I would Like to know if there is a vacancy in tiwi geothermal power plant with regards to engineering/electrical related jobs.It’s always in my dreams to be part of the team in the prestigious company like yours…actually,i got my guts and appreciate more my course,im fascinated on how electricity is generated and i learned that when i took my ojt in tiwi geothermal powerplant…tnx

11. laiza rey rempillo wrote on July 20, 2011 @ 10:02PM

gud evening. . i would very much appreciate 30 minutes of your time to conduct an interview with you and your staff about the office if you mind. .
    thank you.. please call or text me if you have time on the coming nxt week. .
    09056551955..
    tnx. .

12. Herminia A. Rojas wrote on February 1, 2012 @ 11:49PM

The Manager
    Tiwi Geothermal Power Plant

Sir/Madam:
    We are from Mac Mariano Elem. School, Mariano Vil. Balatas, Naga City. We are having our Educational Tour this coming February 10, 2012. Together with us are pupils from Kinder up to Grade VI pupils as new experience/knowledge outside the classroom /school campus.
    We are anticipating with thanks for your approval.
    God Bless!

Respectfully yours,
    Hermie A. Rojas

13. alsonado edmund wrote on June 8, 2012 @ 03:50AM

apply for any position related to technical development
    QUALIFICATION:
    >PRC-registered master electrician 0037907
    >TESDA-building wiring electrician 1
    >3yrs experience
    >genset operator and maintenance
    >motor control
    >basic electronic and mechanical repair
    >PMS AHU FCU and ACU
    >contact number:
    09394452332
    rayzen_moon@yahoo.com

14. Ronald B. Milan wrote on September 28, 2012 @ 08:57PM

Good day mam/sir. i’am Ronald B. Milan, im looking for a job at your good company as a welder. i’am an OFW and i work before in abu dhabi as a welder f i workor almost 3 years. I work also in dubai as a welder just for 1 year.
    I hope that you will give me a chance to work with your good company. I would like to share my knowlege at your good company..

Thanks a lot and may our God blessed you all there..
    I am Ronald B. Milan and my e-mail is crow_732002@yahoo.com my number is 09462083732.

15. Bob lat wrote on January 10, 2013 @ 08:00PM

what are the benefits of people of Tiwi, Alabay in geothermal plant?